The day after I wrote my review about Super Skunk and announced that we are calling it Pepe Le Pew, I got an email from my dad.
One might think it would express concern about my new adventure, my new “love affair.” After all, although marijuana has been legalized here in Washington state, it is still not legal in the eyes of the federal government. Being a lawyer for 35+ years, the law matters to him. Here I am, his only daughter, telling anyone that will listen that I am a MMJ user and proud of it. But being a father comes first and hearing that I have begun finding relief from the pain, he is on board to support and cheer me on.
Nope, the gist of his message (actually the entirety of his message) was to provide me with more information about my new MJ-BFF Pepe Le Pew. The impressive/alarming thing about these “fun facts” that my father sent me, is that Google had no role in this. My dad didn’t whip out his phone and ask Siri to tell him about Pepe. He just knew. Of course he did. He ALWAYS knows. It never ceases to amaze me, that mind of his! It’s great to know that I have him on my side.
In case you happen to be dying to know more about Monsieur Pepe here is what I learned:
I did not need an introduction to Pepe. As you may know, he is the creation of Walt Kelly, creator of the comic strip, Pogo, which emerged during my childhood. Walt Kelly was the newspaper comic strip Gary Trudeau (“Doonesbury”) political satirist of his generation, but also a marvelous manipulater of words and meaning. (He is famous for altering Napoleon’s famous quote, “We have met the enemy, and they are ours!” into the declaration of Pogo the Possum: “We have met the enemy, and they is us!”) Pepe’s girlfriend (also a skunk) was Mademoiselle Hepzibah, who is most famous (in my mind, at least) for her original line of fragrances, called “Deliate Essence”, (say it fast, if you miss the pun) featuring such offerings as “Eau de Salami”, “Braunschweiger”, “Pastrami” “Mortadella” and “Bratwurst”.
Sent from my iPad
…this exchange led to Shawn and I imagining what “Poppa” would be like stoned….hhhmmm. I’m sharing this not only because it provided us with a great laugh, but because it is a perfect example of why I love my family and friends and how much I appreciate their support. And I love that there is always something new to laugh about.
One of the things that I am realizing as I delve farther into my MMJ adventures is that above and beyond the volatile, often times confusing and always maddening legal issues pertaining to cannabis and it’s use, there is another issue for many that is as strong, or even stronger than the law. That is the opinions of those around you. Your family and friends. Even if it is legal where you live, if you are surrounded by people that are still holding on to one of the old “Stoner stereotypes” or folks that believe the warnings of it being a “gateway drug” then making the right decision for you (and your body) might not be easy.
Although changing minds may be a daunting task and may take time, one way you can be proactive is to learn as much as you can and help educate others about cannabis and it’s uses. There are a number of great resources now available that can begin to answer questions, disprove the myths and provide the science behind cannabis and how it can help.
- Leafly.com Leafly is the world’s largest cannabis information resource. We make the process of finding the right strains and products for you fast, simple, and comfortable. Whether you’re new to cannabis, a medical marijuana patient, or a seasoned consumer, Leafly is the perfect destination for you! Not sure how to get started with Leafly? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
- Herb.co At HERB our mission is to use technology to tackle the most exciting opportunities in the cannabis space, from curating the coolest products to growing the understanding of cannabis as a medicine and therapeutic herb. We want to abolish the stigma around cannabis and bring this amazing plant into the mainstream.
- NORML NORML’s mission is to move public opinion sufficiently to legalize the responsible use of marijuana by adults, and to serve as an advocate for consumers to assure they have access to high quality marijuana that is safe, convenient and affordable.
- Medical Marijuana ProCon The leading source for Pros & Cons of Controversial issues – Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?
- Medical Jane We want patients to feel cared for, to be recognized as important members of society, and to feel empowered and inspired to be positive ambassadors for medical cannabis. Medical Jane provides free medical cannabis education and resources to suffering patients who deserve a better quality of life.
- The Weed Blog We’re everything you need to know about marijuana – your #1 source of important marijuana-related information.
- Marijuana Health Wellness MarijuanaHealthWellness.com is a blogging site dedicated to providing information regarding medical marijuana to the public. We hope to inform you on cannabis studies, medical benefits of consuming marijuana as well as the risks involved. We will strive to communicate significant, honest and most importantly un-biased articles in the interest of your health and marijuana.
- Toke of the Town News, Medical, Cuture, Dispensaries, Growing, Legislation, Products, Global
- Canna Effect Canna Effect is the undercurrent of the legal cannabis movement! We are uniting the patients and advocates who share a love and respect for this plant!
- The Cannabist The culture of cannabis, that’s what we’re here to talk about. The Cannabist is a place of ideas, people, art, food and news. In this space we’ll share stories of medical inspirations, basement hilarity, state house debates, earthy aromas, kitchen triumphs and more. As marijuana’s coming-out continues, we’ll report journalistically from our homebase in Denver, Colo. — the site of recreational marijuana’s first legal sale in the modern world on Jan. 1, 2014. But our reach will span the globe as we address cannabis’ ever-expanding role in our weekly lives via news coverage, pot-rooted recipes, arts features, strain and gear reviews, lifestyle profiles, business articles and more, more, more.
- Medical Marijuana Blog We publish the latest news covering updated state laws, dispensaries and steps you need to take to get a medical marijuana card.
- HealthMJ HealthMJ’s mission is to help patients improve their quality of life with cannabis.
- Leaf Science a media brand dedicated to bringing you the most accurate information on cannabis on the web. As interest in all things cannabis spreads, our mission is to deliver the most scientific and trustworthy content to our readers.
Maybe you want to meet others that have tried marijuana for medical reasons, hear their stories and find out what has (or hasn’t worked) for them. There are some great communities that have been built around cannabis and it’s uses.
- MassRoots This app is a “powerful global community of nearly one million cannabis enthusiasts! Our goal is to provide you with an engaging experience that will connect you with cannabis products and strains you will love.”
- Marijuana.com Community Forums on a number of topics
- Facebook Has a number of different cannabis groups with different focuses.
- Instagram There are plenty of cannabis based accounts to follow but according to MaryJane.com “18 of the Best Marijuana Based Instagram Feeds to Follow”
- Twitter – search #cannabis, #MMJ and #marijuana to find a wide variety of accounts to follow. @CannabisNow,@HIGH_TIMES_Mag, @THEMMEXCHANGE, a@PodcastCannabis, @MaryJaneBiz, @LeaflyNews, @MarijuanaPolicy,@MedMarijuana, and @allweednews8 are some that I follow.
I highly recommend spending some time poking around these sites. There is so much to learn and so many great people to meet!
As I continue on my MMJ adventure – I will keep sharing. If you know of other great sources or cannabis communities – I would love to know about them! If you have a story to share, I would love to hear it!!!!
**This is my personal blog and all opinions are my own. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one here on my blog. The content here is for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended to replace the advise of medical professionals. Be sure to contact your doctor before trying any new medications/vitamins/supplements, physical activities or therapies **